- High School Diploma or GED
- Current State of Alabama EMT Basic License or higher at time of application
- Current National Registry Certification, EMT Basic or higher at time of application
- Ability to pass a NFPA-1582 medically required physical for Firefighters and all other City of Hoover pre-employment requirements
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and the ability to obtain/maintain a City of Hoover driver’s permit
- Ability to comply with the Hoover Fire Department grooming standards policy.
Current Alabama Paramedic License at the time of application
Possession of a current and valid Alabama Personnel Standards Commission Firefighter I Certification*
*Any candidate certified as Firefighter I will not be eligible for employment with the City of Hoover until he/she has fulfilled the two-year obligation (unless self-sponsored) imposed by the rules of the Alabama Personnel Standards Commission.